A nationwide alert has been sent out after listeria, bacteria which can cause a type of food poisoning called listeriosis, was suspected in packaged pork.
A 90-year-old woman has died and 56 people have been hospitalized following an outbreak of listeria in Spain.
Most of the 114 cases have occurred in the southern Spanish region of Andalusia but people have fallen ill across the country, from Madrid to the island of Tenerife.
Of those affected in Andalusia, 56 have been hospitalized including 18 pregnant women, at least two of whom suffered miscarriages, regional health authorities said.
The 90-year-old woman died in hospital in Seville on Tuesday lunchtime.
Authorities are investigating whether a pork product sold by Seville-based Magrudis could be the source of the outbreak after several of those struck down were found to have eaten it.
The product under investigation is a pack of meat called ‘Mecha’, of which a batch of 2,000 is thought to be the source of the contamination.
Spain’s Health Minister Maria Luisa Carcedo said: “We are monitoring this, the alerts have been sent out and we’ve ordered that all products (that have come) from this factory since May be pulled from shelves.”
She said an investigation is looking into how the meat evaded what she called “strict food safety controls”.
Props The sun